Nigel Pearson made 5 changes to the LCFC side that lost to Barnsley in the hope of getting an instant turn-around.

City: Schmeichel, Moore, Morgan, Keane, Konchesky, Drinkwater, King, James, Nugent, Schlupp, Marshall

Subs: Logan, De Laet, Dyer, Wellens, Knockaert, Kane, Wood

Brighton: Kuszczak, Greer, Calderon, Upson, Bridge, Hammond, Orlandi, David Lopez, Bridcutt, Buckley, Ulloa

Subs: Ankergren, El-Abd, Painter, Crofts, Vincente, LuaLua, Barker

City looked a much different side to the lacklustre team that lost at Barnsley.

The first half didn’t provide many chances, and except for the 11th minute introduction of Kazenga LuaLua it was a half mostly dominated by the visitors. Andy King and Ben Marshall both had shots which left Kuszczak stretching but eventually went wide of goal. and later on into the half Andy King almost broke the deadlock before seeing his effort come back off the woodwork.

In the dying minutes of the half Jeff Schlupp had City’s best chance being sent through on goal and opting to roll the ball under the on-rushing Kuszczak who managed to get a foot to the ball and slow it down enough for the defender to clear it.


In the second half City again had chances to open the scoring but they were seperated by Brighton also having clear cut chances to breakthrough. Andy King saw a curling effort well saved by Kuszczak and a nice turn by Jeff Schlupp saw his shot deflected into the arms of the keeper. At the other end LuaLua played a ball across the face of goal for Ulloa who should have stroked it into an open net but the Argentine mus-cued it and put it inches wide of goal.

The game came to life in the last 20 minutes when first Leicester took the lead through Matty James, who after getting on the end of Liam Moore’s long throw in managed to evade two tackles before slotting the ball into the corner to give the visitors the lead.

GOAL: Matty James ’72 BFC 0 LCFC 1

City could have doubled their lead when double substitutes Chris Wood and Harry Kane combined to see the latter have a curled shot well saved by the ‘keeper before the former pounced onto the rebound to see it blocked and put out for a corner.

There was still time for late drama at the Amex and it came from LuaLua who had threatened down the right hand flank for most of the game, and after latching onto the end of a cross the winger cut inside substitute Ritchie De Laet and fired a shot in between De Laet and Moore just out of Kasper Schmeichel’s reach.

GOAL: Kazenga LuaLua ’87 BFC 1 LCFC 1